These live theatre experiences invite and encourage individuals with autism, ADHD, dementia, and any sensory sensitivities to enjoy the performance in our “shush-free” zone.
For each Relaxed Performance, we also offer a pre-show Sensory Tour, during which patrons are able to enter the theatre space, view the set and props, and ask questions.
2023/2024 Season Relaxed Performances:
Series 2 titles will be announced in January.
- Bonez October 8, 2pm
- A Christmas Carol December 10, 2pm
- SMALL January 28, 2pm
- the ripple, the wave that carried me home March 17, 2pm
- (TBA) Series 2 May 12, 2pm
- (TBA) Series 2 June 30, 2pm
- (TBA) Series 2 August 4, 2pm
Performance adjustments include:
- House lights will remain on at a low level in the theatre during the performance
- Lower sound levels, especially for startling or loud sounds
- A reduction of startling and/or strobe lighting
- Freedom to talk, vocalize, and leave seats during the performance as needed
- Space available throughout the theatre for standing and movement
- Limited crowds and visitors through the theatre lobby during the day and time of the performance
We invite you to bring noise-cancelling headphones, fidget/handheld manipulatives and stress sensory toys, and anything else you may need to ensure maximum comfort and safety.
If you would like to recommend a specific accommodation at People’s Light, please notify us at 610.644.3500 or email Leigh Jackson, Director of Inclusion, Diversity, Equity, and Accessibility (IDEA) Programming, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Resources available before and during the performance:
- A quiet area will be provided in the theatre lobby to relax as needed
- Fidget and handheld manipulatives will be available to borrow
- People's Light staff, who have been trained to be inviting and accommodating to individuals' needs, will be available throughout the theatre and the lobby
- Disposable ear plugs
- Pre-show preparation materials will be available online as the performance date approaches to help prepare all attendees for the experience of visiting People's Light and attending these performances