EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYMENT
People’s Light is an equal opportunity employer. We work to cultivate a deep and wide reach in order to connect with prospective employees who have varied experiences and skills, a collaborative attitude, and the capacity and desire for growth.
NON-DISCRIMINATION HIRING POLICY
People’s Light seeks to recruit and retain a diverse workforce as a reflection of our commitment to create an antiracist, socially just, and inclusive presence in Chester County and our surrounding community. People’s Light does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, disability, or any other legally protected characteristic. Applicants from populations historically underrepresented in the theatre field are strongly encouraged to apply.
Position Type: Full Time Exempt
Reporting to the Director of Education and Civic Practice, the Director of Artist Training is responsible for the hiring of teaching artists, development of content, and oversight of theatre classes and summer programs at People’s Light.
Here at People’s Light, our education department prioritizes community participation and civic engagement. We seek new ways to inspire young people to develop their theatre-making skills as a means to catalyze social discourse. Our progression of educational opportunities not only teach the craft of acting, writing, composing, devising, and design, but also scaffold the dramaturgical and community-building skills involved in the creation of new locally-inspired work. We are seeking a civic-minded educator to join us in this mission.
Summer Programs Director: Under the guidance of the Education Director, the DAT is responsible for designing, building, and staffing our summer programs at People’s Light, including our SummerBLAST theatre camp for grades 2 through 8, and a new program for teens currently in development. These programs should be built in conversation with the Education Director to manifest values, branding, and teaching goals. The DAT oversees the hiring, training, and management of Teaching Artists and staff for Summer Blast.
Theater School Director: The DAT will serve as the head of Theater School at People’s Light. Theater School provides classes to both young and adult students. The DAT will oversee staffing, training, management, and structure of Theater School. Theater School is currently on hiatus, pending discussion with the new hire.
Professional Training Manager: The DAT oversees the Apprentice Program - providing structure, curriculum, mentorship, and professional development to the emerging artists and administrators coming through People’s Light. The General Manager serves as support for the Human Resources portion of the program.
Curriculum: Develop curriculum and assessment tools in respective programming to track, report, and evaluate the progress.
Strategy: The DAT is responsible for working with the Education Director on building strategy around these programming from an institutional level - sales, marketing, producing, and mission.
Teaching Artist: We are seeking an educator with a background as a Teaching Artist to better inform curriculum building and leadership. This position may include teaching for specific programming throughout the year based on schedule and needs.
Required Experience and Skills
- Background/training in theater administration or theater education
- Background/passion for theater
- Experience as a teaching artist or teacher working with young people
- Familiarity with children’s theater
- Skilled at collaboration across a variety of backgrounds and identities
- Experience in pedagogical theory and practice
- Experience in communicating and working with parents; hospitality is a critical part of the organizational culture
- Clear and generous communication skills; Follow through and thorough organization
- Previous experience in an administrative capacity; Attention to detail
- Project management: able to prioritize the needs of simultaneous projects, meet deadlines, create schedules
- People management
- Collaboration in a team
- Forward thinking
- Able to work independently, proactively, and with a positive attitude
- A commitment to Equity and Inclusion
- Proficient in Microsoft Office (particularly Excel, Word, and Outlook)
- Valid driver's license, clean driving record, and comfort driving a large vehicle
- Reliable transportation
- Requires nights and weekends
- Must be able to pass Child Abuse, PA Criminal, and FBI background checks, and to participate in First Aid/CPR/AED and other emergency response trainings
We know that not all candidates will have all experience listed, and we encourage applications from anyone who is motivated to learn and excel in the role summarized here.
Please submit a cover letter which describes both your interest in theatre and/or theatre education overall and also explains your interest in this specific role at People’s Light, a resume, and 2-3 professional references. Applications will be accepted here.