PREFERRED START DATE: September
REPORTS TO: Chaz Brastow, Director of Production
COMPENSATION: $35,000/year plus benefits
HOURS: Full time Non- Exempt
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYMENT
People’s Light is an equal opportunity employer. We work to cultivate a deep and wide reach in order to connect with prospective employees who have varied experiences and skills, a collaborative attitude, and the capacity and desire for growth.
NON-DISCRIMINATION HIRING POLICY
People’s Light seeks to recruit and retain a diverse workforce as a reflection of our commitment to create an antiracist, socially just, and inclusive presence in Chester County and our surrounding community. People’s Light does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, disability, or any other legally protected characteristic. Applicants from populations historically underrepresented in the theatre field are strongly encouraged to apply.
The Cutter/Draper is responsible for working with the Costume Designer and Costume Shop Manager in the construction and preparation of all assigned production costumes. This work includes:
- Reporting directly to Costume Shop Manager (CSM).
- Interpreting sketches and drawings created by the Costume Designer to create the costume.
- Determining yardage for fabric and trims for the costume.
- Fabricating patterns, either by draping or flat patternmaking.
- Fitting costumes to actors.
- Cutting all fabric based on pattern.
- Altering costumes as needed.
- Assisting in the supervision of work of First Hands and Stitchers.
- Researching period, styles, and techniques necessary to complete costume to Designer specifications.
- Maintaining integrity of Designer’s vision.
- Maintaining clean and safe workspace.
- Completing assigned costumes with high quality within tight timeline and budget.
- Any additional tasks as requested by the CSM or the Director of Production.
- Attending rehearsals as required.
- Notifying the CSM when supplies are becoming low.
- Assisting the shop manager in the maintenance of boxed and hanging storage.
- Demonstrated proficiency in flat patternmaking and draping.
- Knowledge and experience in a variety of costume time periods and construction techniques.
- Tailoring and alterations experience.
- Physical demands include, but are not limited to, lifting, bending, climbing ladders and stairs.
- Able to work independently, proactively, and with a positive attitude
- Strong communication and listening skills
- Valid Driver’s License
- Wig construction
- Bilingual (Spanish)
Please send letter of interest, resume and 2-3 references to Chaz Brastow at firstname.lastname@example.org
Application deadline is August 1, 2022